Professional Tips for Choosing the Best Wood for Your Fence
When it comes to securing and containing your yard, choosing the right fence is essential. With a plethora of fence styles to choose from, it can feel overwhelming wading through the catalogs, warehouses, and Pinterest boards. One option that always shines above the rest for many homeowners, though, is the classic wooden fence. Here at Fence Masters, we assist several clients with their wood fence installations each year, making us experts on the topic. To help choose the right wood and put our expertise to work, we’ve put together a resource that is sure to help you make the right decision regarding wooden fence installation. Read on to learn more about wood fences and the many options available.
The Benefits of Wooden Fences
Compared to other fence options, such as chain-link and wrought-iron, wooden fences offer some of the most desirable benefits amongst fences. Not only do they deliver an aesthetically pleasing form of containment, but they also give you privacy when you’re in your yard. Additionally, wooden fences are some of the most secure and are difficult to infiltrate.
Your Wood Options
You may think that the decision-making process is complete once you select wooden fence installation. While that decision is a large one, choosing the right for your fence is arguably the most important. There are several wood options available, each with benefits and drawbacks. Regardless of the wood you choose, though, you know you’ll be getting a high-quality, lasting fence installed when you choose Fence Masters.
The most common wood materials for fencing include:
- Cedar: Cedar fencing is a popular, durable, and low-maintenance fence option that is attractive and insect-resistant. It is an excellent choice for those with a middle ground budget and who want a naturally beautiful fence.
- Cyprus: Many who enjoy the benefits of cedar will also enjoy Cyprus fences. This wood option has naturally occurring chemicals that deter insects, is a longer-lasting option that is beautiful with or without staining. Cyprus fencing can be a little pricier, but the material’s advantages typically outweigh the higher price point for many homeowners.
- Pine: As the most common material for wood fences, pine is the most affordable choice for your wooden fence. For those looking for a less natural look than cedar, Cyprus, and Redwood, pine is a great choice. Pine fencing is easy to find, install, and maintain and does well in various climates, including here in the Midwest.
- Redwood: The durability, aesthetic, and maintenance benefits of Redwood make it a highly desirable wooden fence option. Redwood is one of the more expensive wood options, but the beauty that comes with the fence often offsets the price. Redwood is a long-lasting wood that can withstand harsh weather conditions for many, many years.
How to Choose the Right Wood for Your Fence
Deciding on a wood type for your fence can be difficult, especially when presented with several beautiful, high-quality options. It helps if you consider several factors when choosing your material, though, which makes the decision-making process a little easier. When looking for a wooden fence, think about:
- Your Climate: Some wood materials cannot withstand extreme temperatures, such as double-digit negatives or triple-digit highs. Additionally, taking into account the average humidity of your area can significantly affect your wood choice.
- Your Budget: As outlined above, different wood types will come at various price points. We always recommend having an idea of what you’re looking to spend on a new wooden fence before researching wood types. It’s not easy to give up on your dream wooden fence and its benefits if you find it too expensive.
- Its Lifespan: On average, a wooden fence, regardless of material, should last anywhere from 10-15 years, depending on maintenance, climate, and the quality of its installation. However, wood with greater longevity can last up to 30 years before needing replacement. If you’re intending on installing a fence on your forever property, choosing a wood material with a longer lifespan is the best, money-saving option.
Of course, if you need assistance picking out the best material for your wooden fence, the experts at Fence Masters are here to lend a hand. We have been the leading fence contractors in the Midwest since 1983 and have the experience and knowledge to help you make the right decision. Give us a call today to discuss your fencing options, and we’ll happily assist you.
The information on this website is for informational purposes only it is deemed accurate but not guaranteed. It does not constitute
professional advice. Testimonials are not a guarantee, warranty or prediction of what your experience with us will be. By providing certain contact information herein, you are expressly authorizing the recipient of this message to contact you via the methods of communication provided.